Pages

Monday, October 1, 2007

This Is My Quest

I’m involved in a quest. (Cue music from “Man of La Mancha”, please.) I live in a bit of a time warp (Please do not cue “Rocky Horror Picture Show” music.) and I need to find some contemporaries. You see my sisters are eight and eleven years older than I am and Chuck is fifteen years older than I am. My best friend here in my home town is Marion and she’s thirty-three years my senior. Do you see the trend? On the flip side, most of my younger family members are about two decades my junior. (It’s up to you if you want to hum “One Is The Loneliest Number”.)

In addition to the quest, I am also approaching a milestone birthday. Yes, it isn’t until next spring, but my Dad always said he was in his fill-in-the-blank year on the day after his birthday. So, with a nod to my Dad, I am, technically, (play sound effects of feet dragging mightily.) in my fiftieth year. Can you tell I am not going gently toward the half century mark? And, since apparently truth serum was in my drinking water today, as a female of a “certain age”, I am approaching that-which-shall-not-be-named. Yup. Just like Voldermort - actually I am much more comfortable speaking his name than the other thing. Seriously. I did buy a book on the topic. It’s hardcover and was in the mark down bin. The spine of the massive tome has never been cracked. I call it the doorstop. Issues? What’s it to ya?!

So I’m looking around to see who in the wider world is around my age - give or take five years in either direction. I’ve found several. Today I present two: comedian Kathy Griffin (two years younger) and newsman Keith Olbermann (less than a year younger). I chose them for their courage. (I’m thinking the “Wizard of Oz” music would be best now.) Both Ms. Griffin and Mr. Olbermann are intelligent, funny and seem to have courage in abundance. Chutzpah might be a better word. And, yes, putting it rather indelicately, they probably do clang together as they walk. But for the purposes of this quest, that is a good thing. I don’t feel as courageous as those two seem to be. So I’ll tack their photos up on my virtual wall of contemporary role models under Chutzpah.

Stay tuned to see who else I nominate to my virtual bulletin board. Of course, feel free to contribute your suggestions...


: : Red Sox Notes:

I can’t shake the images and sounds. Only in Boston would there be a rally for the Red Sox at City Hall Plaza. Only in Boston would the Dropkick Murphys (very loud website!) be playing with a gaggle of little ringleted Irish Step Dancers stepping and twirling, poker straight, behind them. All this because the Red Sox are the American League East Division Champions.
Ya gotta love how crazed all of us in Red Sox Nation are!

6 comments:

Roo said...

Hey - I have just re-read Summerland by Michael Chabon and he has gone sort of the way to explain baseball to me .. but I like the book for the read and escapism.

Anyhow, you are only 4 years older than moi - and Prince Andrew, how's that?

Pink Granite said...

Hey Roo -
I hadn't heard of "Summerland" so I looked it up. It sounds pretty cool and with it being a re-read for you we've added it to the list.
Despite the fact that my Gramps played baseball back in the early 1900s, my love of the game was a long time coming. Passing acquaintance becomes friend becomes passionate affair would best describe the progression!
While I'm thrilled the Red Sox are heading to the post season, I still hate to see the season draw to a close.

Excellent! I'll add you to my virtual bulletin board Roo!
And I just checked on the Duke of York's ex-wife Sarah as well. She fits in the neighborhood too. She gets a nod for reinvention of self and not hiding in the face of public scandal and relentless scrutiny!
Thanks!
;o)
- Lee

SoulPony said...

I love KG & O

Anonymous said...

The Sox games are on almost every night I am in class!. Luckily..the Beantown Pub is right next door to school, so I will be watching the games there!

Gooooo Sox!

Fiona said...

You know what they say age is mind over matter, if you don't mind it don't matter!!!! I am heading for the 60's and I don't mean the music era either. However I don't feel remotely hysterical unless my hip, knee, back, neck, ache then I get a bit panicky. My mind is fine the body is the b....y thing that is letting me down! Nana Fi

Pink Granite said...

Hey Tonya -
Glad to know we're on the same page!
;o)
- Lee

Hey KRL -
I don't know how you can even concentrate on your studies right now! When the local news leads with ten minutes of Red Sox coverage every night, it starts to feel like a state holiday!
;o)
- A.L.

Hey Fiona -
Thanks for putting things into perspective!
There's also a saying that "growing old is not for sissies"! I have no doubt that it is absolutely true!
Time for me to toughen up!
;o)
- Lee