Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2007

49 Up On The Board

49 Up is another in the series of ongoing British documentaries following the same group of children. The films began when the children were seven and then checked in with them every seven years at ages 14, 21, 28, 35, 42 and now 49. It was originally designed to look at class structure in England, coupled with the idea that by the age of seven each child’s future had pretty much been locked in. I had heard of the films, but had never viewed any of them until we watched 49 Up the other day. It was riveting and thought provoking. I highly recommend it.

The subjects of the films were all born in 1956. That puts every single one of them into the category of my contemporaries for the purposes of My Quest. As a result I found myself watching 49 Up through two minds. From the point of view of my quest I have to say it was wildly therapeutic. Watching these fourteen people in video snapshots at seven year intervals, showed both the enormous breadth of emotional and physical change, as well as how very recognizable everyone was. The “real” person shone through, throughout all of their adulthood. I found myself thinking of myself and wondering what sort of report would I have given of my own life at each age (and cringing at a few!). Watching the evolution of these individuals, helped me to focus on the solid core that is me and will continue to be me, even as I move through that-which-shall-not-be-named and beyond.

Thanks to all the kids, now tipped over into their second half century, for their participation, candor and generosity with their lives. They’re all now pinned up on my virtual bulletin board.


: : Red Sox Update - October 26th, 12:11 a.m. :
The Boston Red Sox beat the Colorado Rockies 2 - 1 in Game Two of The World Series!
Next stop: Denver!
So good, so good so good!!!

No comments: