Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Sorting and Settling

This has not been an easy transition for me, going from vacation back to the real world. MDI, Bar Harbor and Acadia felt very real indeed and I miss being in the midst of that much natural beauty. The luggage has been stowed away, but I’m still slogging through the laundry. The cats are settled back in. A week’s worth of mail has been sorted, dealt with and recycled as needed. I’m remembering how to cook again, but I’m amazed at how rusty I felt in the kitchen after only a week of being waited on!

But I think the most jarring for both Chuck and me has been walking in a less dazzlingly beautiful place. Forgive me rural Central Massachusetts, this is a lovely area of the world. We count ourselves lucky to have bought a home here many years ago. We often feel we have the best of all worlds; rural but still near enough to Worcester, Boston or The Pioneer Valley to never feel deprived of anything for very long. But around here there is no Park Loop Road, no crashing surf, no Otter Cliffs, no Bar to cross at low tide, no Seal Harbor, no Schoodic Head or Point. Sigh.

Deep down, I know that getting away to someplace special is what vacations are all about. It’s those differences I’m longing for, that make getting away so terrific in the first place. If we lived on MDI, we’d probably want a change of scenery now and again - maybe to someplace like Central Massachusetts. Right? Sure. But not just to go walking round and round (and round) on the high school track. Top of the “To Do” list for tomorrow: find prettier places to walk that will tide us over until next spring, up in Acadia.


: : Red Sox Update - October 25th, 12:10 a.m. :
The Boston Red Sox beat the Colorado Rockies 13 - 1 in Game One of The World Series!
So good, so good so good!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

our vacation life should be longer than our working life. who thought this whole thing up?

Pink Granite said...

Hey Tonya -
Precisely!!!
Chuck and I used to belong to a union that had a bumper sticker that read: "Labor Unions - the folks that brought you the weekend!"
I hate to imagine where we would all be without them - strong unions and weekends/vacations!
;o)
- Lee