Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Remember To Throw Your Arms In The Air

Life’s a roller coaster.
Not an original thought, but it’s a relevant one.
I think we grow up hoping it will all be smooth sailing. Doesn’t matter what the dream is: family, career, white picket fence, 2.5 kids, astronaut, ski bum, millionaire. We don’t plan on building in the bumps, the ups and downs. If we’re smart, we plan to handle, survive, even thrive in tough times. We save a little money, buy insurance, figure out a fall back position. But we don’t say to ourselves “When I’m 33 I’m absolutely going to experience a financial crisis!” Nope. It’s always a lot more optimistic, a nice rosy glow about it all.

That’s good. So are all those “Life Emergency Preparedness” steps we take. And so too are the rough times that come at us unplanned, unbidden and yes, most unwelcome. Those are also good. The fire that doesn’t consume you, makes you stronger. But those miserable moments also help make the great moments greater. They are the sour to the sweet; the bright, harsh lights that throw good times into high relief.

So today I am grateful for every single unwelcome, tersely written, badly photocopied, condescending rejection letter I have ever received. Today the publisher not only spelled my name right, she wrote: “I’m pleased to tell you that your poem was selected for inclusion in our book.”

Can you hear the sound of the coaster cars clattering on the track?
Here I go, throwing my arms in the air...
Wheeee!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

GAIL

Pink Granite said...

Hi Gail -
Thank you so much! I'm really happy about it!
<);o)
- Lee

SoulPony said...

wow! i am so happy for you.

Pink Granite said...

Hey Tonya -
Thanks so much! I really appreciate the support!
<);o)
- Lee

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Oh well done you !

Pink Granite said...

Hi DMM -
Thanks very much!
It's just so cool!
<);o)
- Lee

purpleronnie said...

Hey PG!!!!
I haven't forgotten about you!!! Thanks for all ur supportive words through a difficult time!
I am soooo very pleased for you that your poem is being published! Please do post it for us so we may ooh and aah a little more!
Well done!!!
xxx

Fiona said...

Oh that is so excellent. Congratulations. Nana Fi

Pink Granite said...

Hi Ronnie -
You are most welcome - simply returning the favor!
And thanks for the congratulations!
The rights to the poem will revert to me after publication, so I should be able to share it then!
<);o)
- Lee

Hi Fiona -
Thank you very much!
I'm still doing a happy dance!
<);o)
- Lee

Roo said...

hey - sorry I missed the WAHAY for you ;o)