Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Lydia

As a child, we called them darning needles and sewing needles. I was an adult before I knew they didn’t deserve the frightening appellation. This beauty came to rest on our back walk this afternoon, a favorite spot for all visiting Dragonflies. I had to photograph it from farther away than I would have liked, because each time I got just a half-step too close, it took flight. I tried to identify it, but with over 5,000 species worldwide, it was a challenge. I suspect it is the Common Whitetail (Libellula lydia), perhaps an immature male. With all due respect to the Odonata experts, until further notice, he/she will be known simply as “Lydia”.

Feel free to click on the photo to get a closer look at Lydia.

6 comments:

purpleronnie said...

Nice to meet you Lydia! Stunning pic!

Pink Granite said...

Thanks so much Ronnie!
;o)
- Lee

barbie2be said...

that is a wicked cool picture!

Roo said...

goodness, that's amazing!

Roo said...

Hey - I forgot something - Carrie's engagment! Does this mean I can ditch the get well badges and start looking for a hat????

Seriously, wish her and her man well :o)

Pink Granite said...

Thanks B2B!
Thanks Roo!
I'm so happy you like it!

and yes Roo -
Carrie is now well and happy, so shopping for smart hats to wear to a wedding is definitely in order!
I passed on your good wishes to Al and Carrie directly.
;o)
- Lee