Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Faded To Fabulous

It all began with the photo on the far left. Dorothy and George, my Mom & Dad (well, in that photo, not yet!). Mom thinks they were photographed while attending a family wedding in the late 1940s. The photo was very faded, but still in good physical condition. I scanned it into the computer and then tweaked it in iPhoto 5 until I achieved the center image. By then it was much better, but you still had to squint to focus in on the details. The photo on the far right is after I converted it to black and white and did some “healing” in Photoshop Elements 4.0 for Mac.

As I’ve said before, I really like to see the original alongside the new and improved final product. It provides a context and a sense of history. Best of all, now we get to see Dorothy and George looking fabulous!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love ir but I think Mom & Dad look better in the center picture. My latest laptop wallpaper.

Pink Granite said...

Hey Gail -
I'm glad you like it. And I'm especially glad I presented all three phases so you could see the one you felt looked best!
Enjoy your new wallpaper!
;o)
- Lee

Anonymous said...

Lee,

Dorothy and George are looking good!

Don't be afraid to crop. That flower(?) on the left and the bush shadow on the right tend to pull the eye away from the main subject. And I'd clone/heal out that dark patch between D & G's shoulders.

I love how the black & white brings out the details in Dorothy's coat and hat.

Well done!

Peace,
"Guided by the Ancestors"

Pink Granite said...

Hi George -
Thank you for the great tips! I really appreciate you taking the time and using your professional eye to give me such useful feedback!
I'll be tweaking and healing...
;o)
- Lee