Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Summer Solstice

In honor of the first day of summer (here in the Northern Hemisphere) and in anticipation of a common summertime activity, I present the following for your amusement:

Camping

I do not want to go camping now
It is too hot
and too humid

I have lived long enough
and camped often enough
to know
that I will be more comfortable
sleeping in my own bed
on top of an inner-spring mattress
in an air conditioned bedroom
14 steps from a flush toilet
while downstairs
a refrigerator
stove
microwave
washer and dryer
stand ready to serve
Than I would be
sleeping on top of
a ground cloth
tent floor
air mattress
sleeping bag
blanket sack
sheet sack
under tent roof
tent fly
and sky
with one lone mosquito
buzzing near my ear
while hordes
of her hungry comrades
cheer her on
from the other side
of the no-see-um screen
that I pray I have repaired
well enough
for me to hold my position
for the night

Yes
I have lived long enough
and camped often enough
to know
that there are only
two weeks a year
when the temperature
humidity
bugs
and weather
are just perfect for camping
and that we have never
ever
taken our vacation
during those two weeks.

- LMR/Pink Granite

No comments: