Pages

Friday, June 1, 2007

The Healing and The Odyssey

The image you see above is a scanned copy of a photograph as it came down to me through the family. It was most likely taken in the summer of 1924. The child is my mother Dorothy and the young woman is her mother Marion - my Gagee. As you can see, it is in pretty rough shape. The image you see below is the same photograph after I made some adjustments to it in Apple’s iPhoto 5, then “healed” it using Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0. It’s not perfect. I don’t think it is supposed to be perfect. I think you should still be able to tell it is more than 80 years old! But the damage is no longer distracting. Your eye is drawn to the people. This is what brought me into digital scrapbooking; a desire to copy and restore these family heirlooms. I want to combine them with the genealogical research we have collected, write about it and then share it all with my family. That way we all have access to the same information. And hopefully more of our ancestors will be “known” to their descendants. Later this week, I’ll share a digital scrapbook page with you which incorporates this photo.


:: I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

SoulPony said...

looks really good. it's a wonderful photo.

Pink Granite said...

Thanks so much Tonya!
I really love that photo!

Roo said...

Hey hey - I carry a photo of my Father in my wallet of when he just joined the Fleet Air Arm, it's pretty battered so I may have a play with it tonight. I'll email you the result!

Cheers, Roo

Pink Granite said...

Hi Roo-
That's so wonderful you carry the photo of your Dad with you.

After I get a good scan of an old photo I duplicate it within the program. That way I'm playing with and tweaking the copy. Once, I got so carried away trying to "heal" a tear in a photo I "healed" a mouth right off a relative! Ooops!

I look forward to seeing your results!
Good luck!
;o)
- Lee