Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Squished

I used to work with a gal who loved to scare the daylights out of newly expecting moms by recounting her own (and others) excruciating labor and delivery stories. It became such a habit that we used to warn newly glowing moms-to-be to steer clear of - well, let’s call her "Cruella"! We’d also try to sidetrack Cruella and move her on to more pleasant aspects of pregnancy and parenthood. It’s quite possible that Cruella contributed to a drop in the birth rate wherever she went in this world.

Bearing that in mind, I’ll simply state that I went and had a routine mammogram today. The only other thing I’ll point out is that there is no comparable male equivalent of this particular activity. Just something to think about. I know I thought about it - at least twice.

2 comments:

Roo said...

I don't know... mention prostrate and most men blanch a little!

But me mum described her mammogram to us, and the tears of laughter just rolled.

Do you reckon the machine was invented by a man?

Pink Granite said...

Hey Roo -
Well, yes, prostate exams are not what one would call a day at the beach! But then women have their annual exams, which if one ticks off all the details of that little adventure does seem to trump even a prostate exam!
The only way to deal with ALL of this is to find the humor in it wherever we can!
And with yesterday's experience still fresh in my mind, I think it had to have been invented by a man!
But since I don't want to follow in "Cruella's" footsteps, I have to say it is thankfully non-invasive, and it does save lives. Also, while it is uncomfortable, I'd rather have the mammogram than the annual exam!
OK.
As my Dad used to say whenever the conversation had strayed into too much intimate detail: "What's the chill factor?"!!!
<);o)
- Lee