Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Reading

I’ve written here before about my shyness. I’ve explained how I’ve learned to mostly overcome it. As a teenager and young adult I served as a lector in my church. Every week, I would stand on the altar before the large congregation and read two passages from the Bible, along with the prayer of the faithful. I was fine. Even the time I went to read the second reading and instead began to read the first reading all over again! After a sentence or two, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the monsignor headed my way. I stopped. He reached over and flipped the page to the correct passage. I said: “Sorry Father. Thanks.” and read the passage as he returned to his seat.

Lightning did not strike. The earth did not open up and swallow me whole. I may have blushed, but I did not collapse. I took it in stride. Tomorrow, I need that same ease, self confidence and poise. Tomorrow I will be reading one of my poems aloud, in front of people I don’t know. It’s the poem which was published last year. I know when you read this you’ll be wishing me luck. I’ll let you know tomorrow how it all went.

Breathing now...

Remembering to throw my arms in the air as well --- but not while I’m reading my poem!

;o)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

%^$&^()*_) I had no idea!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Gail

purpleronnie said...

YOU are so incredibly brave! I really hope it went well - can't wait to hear all about it
xx

Ms Brown Mouse said...

How exciting for you, I hope it all went well.

Pink Granite said...

Hi Gail -
Thank you!!!
I didn't even tell Mom until it was all over! I was just too nervous to talk about it in advance!
;o)
- Lee

Hi Ronnie -
Thank you!!!
I'm so glad I screwed up my courage and did it!
;o)
- Lee

Hi DMM -
Thanks! It really did go well!
Phew!
;o)
- Lee