Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Clear Risk

In a lovely moment of serendipity, Chuck discovered a new item for our pantry. He was looking for some olive oil in Trader Joe’s when a woman began filling her cart with bottles. She volunteered that she lived about an hour and a half away from the store, but that she would go almost any distance to find this item. It was White Balsamic Vinegar. Neither of us had ever heard of it, but at just $1.99 for 500 ml, why not give it a whirl?

It tastes almost exactly like traditional Balsamic Vinegar and is from Modena, Italy, yet it is perfectly clear, hence “white”. It’s just right for when you want that rich, sweet, tangy taste of Balsamic Vinegar, but don’t want that deep, dark color. We drizzled a little over our strawberries this morning and it was delicious - very summery and bright on the palate. I know it’s dangerous for me to state publicly we like something from Trader Joe’s (or anywhere else for that matter), but this White Balsamic Vinegar is so good I decided to take the risk!

4 comments:

Roo said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOh - I know, a bit camp, but it's the first thing I thought, me being a foodie an'all!

White Balsamic... I shall have to hunt now to see where I can get it - we still haven't quite embraced the idea of delicatessens over here - far to European and foreign... it sometimes really is like living in the dark ages.
For example, I am nearly out of my wonder cream - "Savon triple antibiotic" - it's brilliant for bites and scratches etc. Can't buy it here as antibiotics are prescription only. Yet it's down the aisle from toothpaste in US stores! Barmy

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Mr Brown & I discovered White Balsamic Vinegar about a year ago, it is the best for salad dressing, all the flavour and it doesn't make your salad look, dirty!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

And I've just noticed your favicon - tres chic!

Pink Granite said...

Hey Roo -
Good luck! White balsamic vinegar must be somewhere in greater London! I mean it's London for heaven's sake! We here in the colonies can't possibly be ahead of you folks!

We use "Neosporin" it's a triple antibiotic ointment with a pain killer to boot! I can't imagine having to get a Rx for it! I think Savon is the Albertson's store brand equivalent of Neosporin.
;o)
- Lee

Hey DMM -
The original balsamic vinegar is superb when reduced a bit and used as a glaze on meats. But in a salad dressing it's downright muddy!

Thanks for the compliment on my new favicon! I wouldn't have known about it except for you!
;o)
- Lee