Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I Said No, No, No

Back in September, I posted about fewer, less and pled. Yesterday, I Tweeted and had a word display as misspelled. Under “natheless” appeared the dotted red line symbolizing an error. Nunh unh I thought articulately. So I headed to Dictionary.com and typed it into the search box. There it was, properly spelled, a legitimate adverb - - - but wait. In italics was the word “Archaic”. Archaic?! I’m using it. I’ve always used it. It’s a perfectly lovely synonym for nevertheless or nonetheless or notwithstanding. Archaic?! It’s Old English or Middle English and has been in use since before 900 AD/CE. Note that’s in use; not dig it out, dust it off and pronounce it quaint.

Sheesh!

I understand that language is fluid. It adapts and responds as a culture changes and evolves. Fine. But we need natheless. It flows smoothly off the tongue and has an aural lightness which allows it to be employed in less formal sentences. Won’t you join me in keeping it contemporary? Or, as fussbudget lexicographers might insist it be termed, bringing it back?

3 comments:

Ms Brown Mouse said...

I generally use nonetheless but will join you in the revivification of the "archaic" natheless because it IS quaint and twee and I love quaint and twee :)

Pink Granite said...

Dearest Morgan,
Thank you for your kindness!
- Lee
P.S. Natheless Rocks!
;o)

Roo said...

Good word - I wish my boss would stop using betwixt though!