Pages

Monday, May 26, 2008

Lilacs

The perfume from the lilacs is intoxicating. It’s especially intense when the air in the dooryard has been still for a time and then a breeze stirs, sending the concentrated fragrance in through the open windows. Walking up to the blooms you can’t help but lean in. Bees buzzing are no threat as they are far too preoccupied with the embarrassment of riches climbing two stories tall and the same in width.

Lilacs are such old fashioned, classic and beautiful trees. Here in New England, a lone stand of lilacs is often the last vestigial proof of where a home once stood, where a family once made a life. Our ubiquitous stone walls may tell tales of crops planted and pastures grazed, but the lilacs say life was about more than just hardscrabble farming. There was beauty too. Something planted and nurtured that did not put food on the table or money in the coffers, but instead was balm to the senses at the beginning and end of long days.

9 comments:

Claudia Snell said...

They are beautiful! I love lilacs but I'm terribly allergic to them :-(

Pictures are perfect. I can look without sneezing.

barbie2be said...

gorgeous! all of our lilacs have done come and gone. :(

Anonymous said...

I'd forgotten how much I love lilacs, thanks for the reminder.

Pink Granite said...

Thanks All!
Happy to provide allergy free photos, memories and reminders!
;o)
- Lee

Anonymous said...

We actually have a tree in our backyard that is beautiful...I keep cutting some and bringing them inside for the smell..Carrie

Pink Granite said...

Hi Carrie -
Your yard must be a never ending surprise to you and Al, as this is your very first spring in your new home!
I'm happy you have a lilac. Do you also have a "Rose of Sharon"? We don't have one here, but we had a beautiful one back at Nana & Poppa's house on Post Road.
;o)
- Auntie Lee

Sue said...

Can I tell you a secret? I've never seen a real lilac, let alone enjoy the pleasure of smelling one! They're really pretty and sound heavenly...

Anonymous said...

Lee,

I can't remember the last time I saw and smelled lilacs. Growing up in NYS, their short stay were taken for granted. Now, living in New Mexico and way way over 50 (six plus years I tell you!), I miss them. The blame goes squarely on your pretty photograph.

Peace,
"Guided by the Ancestors"

Pink Granite said...

Hi George -
I'm happy to have brought back sweet memories for you. Sorry for any and all pangs that came along with them!
50 and 6! We'll just all keep singing along with Mose Allison on "Certified Senior Citizen"!
;o)
- Lee