Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2008

“Basic Civil Right”

Today, the California Supreme Court overturned a state ban on gay marriage, ruling that same sex couples have a constitutional right to marry. Chief Justice Ronald M. George described it as a “basic civil right”. It is not yet all smooth sailing. Opponents of same sex marriage have been working to get an amendment on the California ballot this November, which, if approved, would ban same sex marriage and override today’s court ruling. Hopefully, California will follow Massachusetts in being the second state to fully protect marriage equality.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe we are still arguing about one of the most basic rights that humans have, the right to be happy!!!!

Heterosexuals have done such a great job of "happily ever after"

NOT!!!!!!

Gail

Ms Brown Mouse said...

I just can't see the objection. They aren't making it compulsory, if people want to marry, who are you or I to say they can't, how does it hurt anyone?

Pink Granite said...

Hi Gail & DMM -
I agree. I've never understood the arguments against same-sex marriage. I hope that more states follow suit - and not just with civil unions.
- Lee