Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Not Yet

At what point is a native New Englander, who likes winter and strongly dislikes summer, allowed to wave the white flag over too many snowstorms?

Oh, not yet?

O.K. then, apparently I have nothing more to say here!

But, hypothetically speaking of course, if today we had to shovel 8 more inches (20 centimeters) of medium weight snow, rake the kitchen roof and reshovel where the snow from said roof landed with a thud on the back walk and bulkhead, we might, just might be getting weary of this winter - hypothetically.

And if, hypothetically speaking, we had to crawl out the bedroom window onto the porch roof to shovel 18 inches (46 centimeters) of accumulated varietal snow, from multiple storms, it is remotely possible that we could be growing tired of this pattern of one storm after another after another - hypothetically.

But as a native New Englander, who likes winter and strongly dislikes summer, I think I need to keep my mouth shut for a little while longer. Because you know as well as I do that once summer comes, the heat rises, the humidity closes in and the bugs emerge, I will be thinking fondly of winter. Especially of an afternoon in late January when the physical exertion of coaxing and heaving heavy snow off the porch roof left me achey, satisfied and yes, even exhilarated, as the setting sun glinted off the icicles gilding the eaves.

Chuck working to clear the porch roof

9 comments:

Sue said...

Oh my... I do feel sorry for you having to do all that work. At 31 deg C today, I could do with a little cooling off myself!!

Enjoy the fresh weather while it lasts and thank goodness for Chuck's manly strength!

Sue X

Pink Granite said...

Hi Sue -
It was actually 30 F / -1 C here today! That's why we weren't all bundled up out on the roof.

When Chuck read your comment he said I should have been more clear in explaining that I crawled out on the roof first and was shoveling away when he joined me.

But once he did join me, his "manly strength" did help make short work of the project!

Stay as cool as you can...
;o)

Sue said...

Hahaha - Chuck, you're too honest!! Well done Lee, I'm sure the workout was a good one!!

Keep warm X

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Oooo look at Chuck being all manly man man shifting the snow!
(hypothetically, just about now I thing :D )

Pink Granite said...

Hi Sue -
Real Manly Men can happily share credit!
;o)


Hi DMM -
"Shifting the snow" makes me think of the old Army joke of "Take this pile of dirt and move it over there. Now move it back again"!
That is exactly what this winter has felt like!
;o)

Kate said...

The wheel actually came off of our snowblower in the last storm.

Came right off.

If that is not a commentary on what this winter has done to us, I don't know what is.

Pink Granite said...

Hi Kate -
Oh no!
That really is just adding insult to injury!!!

Brace yourselves for the next one...

Roo said...

Ok - so I though tyou had a snow blower too?

well done to you both for the spade work though, are you available all winter?

Sue, 31 degrees in the sun is not helping and I for one am deeply jealous ;o)

Oh, and you'll get used to the new washer Lee, honest! Love to you both

Pink Granite said...

Hi Roo -
We still have the snowblower and it has been getting a workout this winter. But there is still plenty of trimming, raking and shoveling to be done!

Thanks for reinforcing the message that the washer is really working!
;o)