Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Catching Up & Two Questions

: : First off, a belated blog birthday greeting to my sister Gail in Georgia. She is “GG”, Isabella’s grandmother, and she celebrated an unnamed/unnumbered birthday on Thursday. May this coming year hold only joy for you Gail!

: : Speaking of Isabella, she now weighs 8 pounds, 14 ounces or 4.03 kilograms and she remains bright as a new penny, endlessly entertaining and adorable.

: : Do any Apple computer aficionados know of a good personal health record or medical record template for Numbers? It could even be a Microsoft Excel template, which can be opened in Numbers and then saved as a Numbers file. I found a couple on-line, but none of them seem to be as sophisticated as the sort of templates which come with Numbers.

: : Are any of my readers using HD Radio? We just began learning about it and, despite its nascency, it seems pretty nifty. If we could reliably get the Boston Red Sox ballgames via HD Radio we would be all over it like white on rice!

: : Keith Olbermann has left MSNBC. I am unhappy about this. I like Keith. I liked his show Countdown. Even though there were times when he tipped over from determined to strident; from angry to wrathful; from funny to obsessively mocking, I always admired his courage, his convictions and his willingness to speak truth to power. I shall miss him.

: : So far, Downton Abbey is fabulous! The series is airing in four parts here in the States as part of Masterpiece on PBS. There is a lovely warmth, humor and humanity about the characters and the storylines. We have been captivated by it and are keeping our fingers crossed that it finishes well. And that the next round of episodes, filming this spring, will be equally wonderful.

: : I thought of the late Jeff Barnard many times this week. Each time we drove through Worcester we found folks walking in the street because sidewalks were unshoveled and we played dodge-cars with other vehicles because lanes of traffic suddenly disappeared under unplowed or poorly plowed snow. As we inched along, I couldn’t help but think that Jeff would have held those responsible up to his high standards and kept their feet to the fire.

: : It is now -9F / -23C! I’ll let that sink in. Yes, it is incredibly frosty. The sky is crystal clear as it usually is on such bitterly cold nights. The moon is just past full and the snow is glittering under its gentle light.

4 comments:

Roo said...

Hallooooooo

Glad to hear you are feeling so much better, I can't believe it has only been 6 months since we were all chipping in with tips for Chuck ;o)

The snow photos were lovely, but I do hope you are managing to keep ahead of it as well. As for HD radio, not sure, but we do have DAB radio here and it's pretty good.

As for Downton Abbey, we do all talk like that.... ;o)

Sue said...

Happy birthday Gail!! Hope it's a really good year for you!

I can't believe how cold it is over there. I know I don't have to live with it and hearing you speak about how to clear it away and trying to decide when best to do so sounds like a serious mission, but still... it's so pretty!!!!

I've had a quick read back and promise to try be better at staying up-to-date.

Sorry I can't help you with any answers to your questions!

Sending lots of love,
Sue X

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Bitterly cold nights = sunggles!

Pink Granite said...

Hi Roo -
Welcome back to the blogosphere!
Chuck (and I) still value all of your advice about how he could best weather my hospitalization and recovery. The canned beans advice remains priceless!

I Googled DAB and it seems to be a kissing cousin of HD Radio. More research is needed...

Downton Abbey is wonderful. But if you all talk like that, do you all talk like the upstairs residents or the downstairs staff? Hee hee!
Love to Peter...
;o)


Hi Sue -
After your adventure to Lapland, North Pole and Father Christmas - you've got plenty of experience with lots and lots of snow!
Thanks!
;o)


Hi Morgan -
Snuggling under fluffy quilts = yum!
;o)