Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tax Troubles

These recent tax kerfuffles which have swirled around some of President Obama’s nominees to posts in his administration (Geithner, Daschle, Killefer), lead me to one conclusion:

We need a drastically simpler tax code.

I’m serious.
Our current tax code is so convoluted and labyrinthine that it is a burden to many honest tax payers, a happy hideout for tax cheats and a minefield for folks with even the slightest bit of financial complication in their lives.

Do I need to send another round of e-mails off to Washington? You betcha! Thankfully, under this administration, I am not worried I am less worried about a big fat file with my name on it growing daily in an F.B.I. office somewhere!

I don’t pretend to know which of the three aforementioned categories Timothy Geithner, Tom Daschle and Nancy Killefer fall into on the continuum of honest mistake makers to tax cheats. For the purposes of this post, it is beside the point. Although, tongue firmly in cheek, if President Obama keeps nominating folks with unpaid tax problems who write big checks to right the wrong, we just might get the budget balanced in short order!

No comments: