Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Day After The Ice Storm Day!

Oh, and Happy Valentine’s Day too!

Why am I showing you a picture of our car tire? Actually, the car tire is not the most important aspect of the photo. It’s the way the car tire is NOT cracking through the ice and snow, but is resting on top of the ice covered snow! Now that’s what I call “rock solid”! I was amazed when I pulled the car out of the barn and I did not feel and hear the crunching sound of the car breaking through the snow. So amazed, that I got out of the car to snap a photo! Once the car got farther down the driveway to where the sun had been shining on the snow for a few hours, it did finally crunch through. Which was good, because the Subaru was the only way we were able to break down the plow ridge at the edge of the road. The snowblower would never have been able to make a dent in it and our shovels and ice spade were useless. But once I had wrangled the car over and through the previously solid ridge many times, we were better able to shovel the icy snow chunks away.


Me in my L.L. Bean boots standing on top of the ice, looking down at one of Chuck’s footsteps “fossilized” during the post-snow, freezing rain part of the storm.


Birch trees on the far side of the front lawn.


Ice on the back walk, after I had chipped at it with the ice spade. I eventually gave in to the reverberations in my arm and sprinkled some clay litter (non-clumping!) to give us a little better footing.


I hope you can get a sense of the shimmering icy glaze on the snow from this photo...


...or perhaps from this one


More snow and ice, melting in the sun and refreezing on the fieldstone wall.

As always, feel free to click on the images to get a better look.

3 comments:

Sue said...

WOW! What stunning photos!! As I sit here in shorts and a tee-shirt on a relatively cool day in Cape Town (it's overcast, only about 22 deg c, but climbing steadily to 33 by Tuesday), I just cannot imagine it being so cold somewhere else, never mind frozen solid! Everything looks so clean and fresh!
Sue x

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Those are great photos, and a wonderful way to experience your winter wonderland without the bad bits :)

Pink Granite said...

Hi Sue -
Thanks for the compliment!
And I appreciate the sharp contrast between our respective seasons right now!
;o)
- Lee

Hi DMM -
Thank you!
When it's this cold and icy, I think I would enjoy just looking at the photos too! Especially when we slip, slide, nearly fall and do fall!
;o)
- Lee