Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I Still Wish...

Last year, I wrote and posted this piece. My feelings have not changed. I believe it bears repeating, perhaps even more so because we are in the midst of a United States presidential election year. The next president will most likely be involved in appointing a judge to the U.S. Supreme Court. The Supreme Court is key to this issue.

Today is the 35th anniversary of the United States Supreme Court Decision known as Roe v. Wade.

In light of this anniversary I have a few wishes to state:

- I wish, that from this moment on, no woman would ever have to make the decision to have an abortion.
- I wish contraceptives, including the morning after pill, would always be readily available to all women.
- I wish that all young people would be taught age appropriate sex and health education.
- I wish that all young people would be taught that abstinence is a legitimate choice, at the same time they get clear information about all forms of contraception.
- And I wish that abortion would always be safe and legal and available to all women.

4 comments:

Ms Brown Mouse said...

I wish the same. We don't have exactly the same difficulties here in Australia, but there's always the worry what we have can be taken away.
I wish politicians would just say (when asked about this) "this is a matter for the individual, it's none of my business and I'm not going to interfere".

Sue said...

Those are good wishes and I wish the same for all women across the world. In South Africa, I imagine that things are way worse then in the USA - we have people who believe that AIDS can be cured by having sex with a virgin and you can protect yourself from HIV by having a shower after unprotected sex (this last one was advised by our possible future president)...

equisetaceae said...

I'd add
"I wish all women should have access to support (financial, emotional and physical), as well as encouragement, should they choose to have a child on their own".

It drives me insane that women don't have access to plausible choices when it comes their sexual health. Women, especially young women, aren't given access to information and education and then are berated and punished forever for 'having a child out of wedlock' or punished and berated for choosing to have an abortion.

gah!

Pink Granite said...

Hi DMM -
What a refreshing (and reassuring) statement that would be!
- Lee

Hi Sue -
It is so distressing to read that this many years after HIV/AIDS was identified, there is still such dangerous misinformation around. Worse still, to hear it from political leaders in a position where they could spread accurate and useful information.
- Lee

Hi equisetaceae -
You're right. Choosing to have a child, inside or outside of marriage, with or without a partner, should be supported. Ideally, every child brought into this world would be wanted, loved and supported by their family and the larger community.

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.
- Lee