Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Most Best

I’ve been meaning to write this post for a while now. The working title in my mind was “How To Be An Excellent Hospital Visitor”. The problem is that it really was a story of how our niece Kate was “An Excellent Hospital Visitor”. Before I was hospitalized back in early July, my doctor had prepared me for what could be a stay of just three to five days, but, if the worst of the possible complications developed, it could be up to two weeks. Kate immediately got back to us and invited Uncle Chuck to stay with her and her husband Phil. They live less than half an hour away from the hospital and knew that Chuck was going to stay in a hotel close to the hospital. They also offered meals or just a place to rest and relax whenever he needed it. Once it became clear that the surgery was a success and I would likely be in only a few days, Kate immediately scheduled a visit. Her first instinct was to smuggle her dog Murphy in with her! We suggested that since we had seen him the Sunday before, just two legged visitors would be more appropriate!

That’s how Kate came to visit her Auntie and Uncle the day after my surgery. She appeared in the room with an armload of tropical flowers half as tall as she is, a card signed by her entire branch of the family, some lovely linen spray in case my room smelled a bit too hospital-y for my taste and her cheerful and drop dead funny personality! Talk about a breath of fresh air! She also brought a flash drive with her. She and Phil had traveled to Ireland earlier in the year and she had uploaded a slew of gorgeous photographs from their trip. Chuck had his laptop which he quickly set up on my wheely bed tray. He and Kate pulled up chairs next to my bed and we enjoyed an Irish travelogue!

Now you see why I planned to call this post “How To Be An Excellent Hospital Visitor”. But I really could have titled it: “How To Be An Excellent Niece”!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I take all of the credit for the wondefulness that is Katie Rose

:o)

Unknown said...

Well maybe not all of the credit but close.


(Does Ron read this blog?)

Pink Granite said...

Hi Gail -
LOL!
He's aware of its existence, but I don't believe he's a reader!
Besides, that much wonderfulness in both of your daughters would require at least 110% from at least two parents!
;o)
- Lee

Roo said...

I'd like to think that we can bus her in if ever Peter and I fall ill ;o)

Pink Granite said...

Hi Roo -
Absolutely!
And, if for any reason Kate is unavailable, Chuck and I would be happy to step in!
;o)
- Lee