Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

Lilacs For Lunch


I was talking with Chuck in the dooryard this afternoon when a flash of color flitted by beyond his shoulder. It was an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus). (I suppose it could have been a Canadian Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio canadensis), but I think that would be less likely.) I went to get the camera, hoping it would stick around until I could get back outside. Happily, it seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the lilac blossoms and let me snap away. I wish I could upload the lilacs’ intense but never overpowering perfume. It has always been a favorite of mine.

3 comments:

Ms Brown Mouse said...

I wish you could upload the smell too, I love lilac.

Roo said...

Hey hey - just catching up!

I love the tidal pool post - my dad used to take me rock pooling as a kid and I am always surprised how much I remember when I show kids around them now ;o)

Love the welcome home flowers - how sweet are they. That has me thinking, I wish I had a low warm wall somewhere, other than the spot we intend to put the fig...hmmm

As for your sweet words about your friend, what a lovely thought that we can carry on teaching after we pass on. That's a nice thought to remember, and it's sure too she would have loved the scent of that Lilac too ;o) Hugs to you both

Sue said...

Beautiful!! I love butterflies (hate worms though) and the lilac bush looks gorgeous. I'm very envious of everyone enjoying spring/summer in various parts of the world. Winter's for the birds...