Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sweat & Strawberries*

The heat and humidity continue to be overpowering. The dewpoint has been hovering around 70 which is officially “oppressive”. Neither Chuck nor I are cut out for this sort of miserably hot and soupy weather. Earlier in the week some of the weather prophets were predicting a welcome break beginning tomorrow. Now, not so much. The possibly mythical dry spell has been pushed off to later in the week.

Dayenu (Enough)

Last night we enjoyed generous hospitality and good food at our niece Kate and her husband Phil’s home. First Kate took us along on a photographic trip to Machu Picchu and the Amazon. I’m so happy that Kate had this once in a lifetime trip, but after seeing the zoom shots of the insects, it’s not at the top of my “Dream Travel” locations - at least not the Amazon part! Kate then prepared a chicken Fajita bar which was yummy. But she crowned the meal with her interpretation of an Ina Garten recipe. She scooped out creamy chocolate ice cream and then spooned on sliced fresh strawberries which she had tossed in balsamic vinegar. Heavenly!

* I know that’s a dreadful title for a post, but I blame the dewpoint! ;o)

9 comments:

Ms Brown Mouse said...

I'm trusting you'll have done something about that weather by the time we turn up. As you know, hot is not my cup of tea.
It's quite nice here at the moment, 7pm, doors all open, socks on but no jumpers. Gin and tonics with freshly picked native red lime, soup on the stove. And in 2 months I'll be grumbling :)

Anonymous said...

totally jealous!!!

Gail

barbie2be said...

i love strawberries and balsamic! it's one of my very favorite desserts!

Pinky's Pages said...

Although interesting, I cannot say that 'touring' the Amazon is on my 'to-do' list, but neverthelesss, it must have been an amazing trip for your niece & hubby... Yum... the strawberries and chocolate ice cream ** drool ** ... as for the humidity, hope you guys get some much needed relieve in the weather shortly... Over in sunny London (for once ;) I'm enjoying the last of the summer days with Pimms & lemonade... Hugs, xx

Sue said...

Shame, I hate humidity... Hope the weather improves for you!! The meal sounds divine - I wish I was so inspired in the kitchen!! Poor Jake...

Anonymous said...

I'm sooo with you both on the weather and Amazon fronts - but sounds like Kate had a great time. I really love strawberries and balsamic.. a real summer treat.. Must try it with chocolate ice cream yummmmmy!!! Ron x

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the evening! --Kate

Irene said...

That dessert sound terrific!

Pink Granite said...

Hi All -

DMM, We are doing our darndest to get things cooled off before you arrive!

Gail, I understand and you have my sympathy...

B2B, I can see why it was scrumptious!

Lailaa, Sunny London sounds like quite a treat - as does Pimms & lemonade. I'll have to try it. We like Pimms & Ginger Ale.

Sue, Before you know it Jake will be progressing from growing things in the garden to whipping up a meal in the kitchen!

Ronnie, the chocolate ice cream was a surprise and added great depth of flavor. I can imagine it over a slice of pound cake - have you baked one of those yet?

Kate, it was such a fun evening! Hope I didn't hog the air conditioning too much!

Irene, you must try it - even just the strawberries with the balsamic sans ice cream with a sprinkle of turbinado sugar would be good!

Thanks!
;o)
- Lee