Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2009

But Molasses Wasn’t One of the Ingredients


Last night I had one of those nights in the kitchen when I was all at sixes and sevens. I’m embarrassed to admit that I am not a big planner when it comes to meals. I tend to walk in and wing it. Usually that works out just fine. But last night I couldn’t get in the groove. It was a simple meal - grilled tuna, brown rice and a tossed green salad. Normally I take my grilled tuna in an Asian direction, but last night I wanted to go Mexican/Southwestern. It was the change in direction which did me in. I started with an avocado dressing for the salad. I had never made that before and the first go round had it too thick - more like guacamole. So I introduced some seasoned rice wine vinegar which thinned it and added additional tang, with a hint of sweetness. But while I was winging the dressing, I wasn’t grilling the tuna or preparing the rice. And the tuna needed a “new” dry rub to fit the Southwestern twist. Do you see the problems developing?

In the end, it all worked out and we really enjoyed the meal, A jarred Pace Salsa Verde was put to work in the dipping sauce made from the reduction of the tuna pan drippings. The Salsa Verde also accented the rice. And that avocado/guacamole/green goddess dressing was a fun change. But at every step I felt slow as molasses and not in control. The funny thing is, I’m looking forward to making it all again someday. Dollars to doughnuts it will go smoothly. In the meantime, the dandelion is here as a reminder that ordinary, simple and run of the mill is just fine. Even if I still crave more exotic experiments done on the fly.

No comments: