Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

“And Things We’re All Too Young To Know”

Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields wrote the song “The Book of Love”. A cover of the song was performed by Peter Gabriel and used in the soundtrack for the 2004 movie “Shall We Dance”.

We were flipping around the television channels the other day when I happened upon the last few moments of “Shall We Dance”. I was captivated by the song playing behind the final scenes. I Googled the lyrics and found the songs over on YouTube. The original Magnetic Fields version is available on iTunes. But the Peter Gabriel version can only be downloaded there as part of the entire soundtrack.

In honor of Carrie and Al’s wedding day, just a month away, here are both versions of “The Book of Love”:




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i still can not open it...i heard a little snippit at my house and it is very pretty but I can not even open it on your site....thanks for thinking of me though!Carrie

Pinky's Pages said...

Love It esp. the Peter Gabriel version (with that voice, he can sing me anything ;)! All the best to Carrie & Al. Hugs, xx

Pink Granite said...

Hi Carrie -
Bummer!
The countdown continues...
;o)
- A.L.

Hi Lailaa -
I have to say I like Stephin Merrits voice very much, but I also prefer the Peter Gabriel version!
;o)
- Lee

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Both versions are lovely, such a beautiful song. But I’ll confess to a sneaking preference for Peter Gabriel’s version – probably because of the way he pronounces dancing – just like I do ;) (oh, and the fact that I fancied him like crazy back in the 80s)

Pink Granite said...

Hi DMM -
It looks as if the Peter Gabriel version is going to be the winner!
I first fell hard for Gabriel's music with his album "So" back in the 1980s.
;o)
- Lee