Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Fair Imagination

I attended the 1964 - 1965 World’s Fair in New York City. I don’t remember exactly when we piled into the car and drove down from Rhode Island, but I know I very much enjoyed it. Based on the dates it was open, I would have been between five and seven years old. It was exciting and interesting, yet I can recall very few specifics: the enormous globe, the dazzling pavilions, “It’s A Small World”, the Pieta.

Chuck attended the same World’s Fair. All these years later, the most tantalizing thing about that fair is the slim possibility that my future husband and I were both in the same place at the same time. Maybe we walked by one another near the entrance in Queens, New York. We might have stood next to each other looking up at the gleaming Unisphere. Perhaps we gazed into the imagined future at the same time in one of the pavilions, never realizing that our true future was right beside us.

4 comments:

Sue said...

That gives me goosebumps!!! Quite a thought.

Jacques and I knew each other from age 5, but I stumbled on an old photo a few years ago of the two of us at a Christmas Party (the one I always post about going to with Jake). We're standing next to each other. Funny that out of all the kids there, we landed up going on the same night (it runs for a few weeks before Christmas). It must've been the year before we started Grade 1. Funny...

Sue X

Wendy said...

aw Lee, thats so lovely.
I hope you were there at the same time standing next to each other
xxx

Unknown said...

Home Alone keeps running through my head, did I go? I have no recollection of this trip???????

Although I have a vague memory of seeing a kid with a beard, could have been at the Fair.

:o)

Pink Granite said...

Hi Sue -
I love that you and Jacques knew each other from such a young age. Clearly the stars were aligned to help you find each other and fall in love as soon as possible. I wish you could have had so many more years together.


Hi Wendy -
Thanks! We hope so too.


Hi Gail -
O.K. if I was about six you would have been about fourteen. I'm pretty sure we stayed with Uncle Ed and Aunt Alice. But it wasn't at the big base with all the trees and the older officer's quarters. I believe it was a high rise apartment building with an elevator.
Does that help at all?

As for your seeing the kid with the beard, you might very well have been at the Fair! LOL!
;o)
- Lee