Pages

Monday, July 28, 2008

Summer Harvest

Before I headed off to Carrie’s shower on Saturday morning, Chuck went to The Country Hen in Hubbardston to buy eggs during their farm store hours. He also stopped by the Farmer’s Market in Barre and brought home some zucchini and summer squash. Tonight I cooked up the squashes along with some olive oil, onion, garlic and artichoke hearts. I added some rosemary and a little bit of crumbled bacon. A few more veggies, such as tomatoes and eggplant and I would have been in the neighborhood of a ratatouille. But it was just fine as is.

I once described some recipe I had concocted to my nephew J.R. and his wife Lorrie. As I listed off sherry, olive oil, garlic, onions, a splash of cream, etc. J.R. got a grin on his face and said: “You could cook shoe leather in those ingredients and it would taste good!” Yup. Cooking is not rocket science!

6 comments:

Ms Brown Mouse said...

You could add a little fresh mozzarella, wrap it in pizza dough and have the perfect calzone too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee,

Ah, the Farmers Market.
My wife, Cynthia, finally got the shisito (sp) peppers she's been waiting for (about a year).

I stood back as other shoppers were giving her the "hey lady, would you mind saving some of those peppers for the rest of us?" It was raining and it was a tough crowd! LOL

Peace,
"Guided by the Ancestors"

Roo said...

Hey hey - sounds delicious. I'm not a big fan of courgettes, so I like to slice then fairly thin, dust them in chickpea flour, then pan fry them in a little oil and butter (for flavour) until they go crisp, and they have to be eaten hot. ;o)

Pink Granite said...

Hi DMM -
Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds yummy!
;o)

Hi George -
Your lovely Cynthia must have trained at Filene's Basement in Boston: Elbows out and full speed ahead - victory is within sight!
;o)

Hi Roo -
Oh my! That sounds good too!
;o)

Sue said...

As always, sounds delicious. I should refrain from reading your blog pre-breakfast though. Your food always sounds delicious and I might have to invite myself around to dinner sometime! By the way - has your Maw Broon's cook book arrived yet?? Hope you enjoy it. You must try get hold of an annual too - they're just SO Scottish!

XXX

Pink Granite said...

Hi Sue -
Ooops! I did it again! I keep forgetting to put up the food/dining warning sign!
I just received the Maw Broon Cookbook and it is wonderful! They've done a beautiful job of making it look "authentic". I look forward to exploring it more and reporting back...
;o)
- Lee