Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I Think I’ve Reached My Quota

They say bad things come in threes. If true, I’m all set now, thanks. First, Chuck developed a toothache. So a trip to the dentist was in order. Because on our last visit, just a few weeks ago, they spotted a slight crack in one of my teeth, which the dentist felt would be a quick fix, we made back to back appointments. Chuck went in first, but emerged way too quickly. Verdict: a root canal is needed. Then I slipped into the chair. Verdict: not just a quick fix, I need a crown. All this fun and excitement continues on Thursday. Then, I came down with what I hope is just a cold - a very, very brief, low-impact cold. (Did you hear that Universe?) Although with news coverage of seasonal flu and H1N1 flu, I’ll admit to a niggling worry that it could be worse.

Tomorrow we were scheduled to go down to Rhode Island to visit with my Mom. Mom, age 85, stopped driving her automobile August 1st. While we are grateful Mom made the decision of her own volition, we were also all pretty concerned about how she would cope without her almost daily jaunts to the supermarket and other nearby stores. But she has done beautifully. Between family, friends and volunteers Mom has been getting out and about - so much so, that a couple of times we have had to put off our visits because she’s so busy! Unfortunately, my cold has thrown a monkey wrench into our plans for tomorrow. When I called Mom this afternoon I had to tell her I had a cold. Before I could elaborate she interrupted with: “I love you, but I don’t want you near me, dear.”!

So here’s to Novocaine, cold tabs, Kleenex tissues, hand sanitizer and a mother who knows exactly what she does and does not want!

9 comments:

Sue said...

Oh Shame Lee!! I hope you feel better soon. I'll be doing a post on it soon, but have a friend who's just had H1N1 and been really sick, so please visit the doctor if you are concerned, the medication is really good.

Good luck for the dentist, it's my worst visit, especially when you know there's work to be done!

Sue x

Anonymous said...

I think the H1N1 thing is so scary - we also lost an extended family member to it - so I know firsthand how real it is. Not trying to get you worried - I know that the Universe has just sent you a little sniffle so that you can have a few days to relax!!! Here's hoping you get better very soon xxx Ronnie

barbie2be said...

oh, that reminds me, as an immuno-compromised individual, i need to make an appointment for my shots.

i hope you are feeling better soon, that the respective root canal and crown procedures go well, and that your mom continues to thrive!

Pinky's Pages said...

Hope you feel better soon!
Hugs, xx

Pink Granite said...

Hi All -
Thank you for the good wishes!
I'm trying to balance appropriate, responsible worrying about the flu(s), with just taking a head cold in stride.
We have yet to get our seasonal flu shots (our doctor's office hasn't scheduled the clinic) and the H1N1 vaccine won't be available until October. Sigh...
Hope you all stay well and happy!
;o)
- Lee

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Think positive. It's just a head cold, it's just a head cold, and even if it isn't it's the other thing but only the just a head cold variety. Back home it's sweeping through the place and apparently, MOST, folk wouldn't even know it was H1N1 if not for all the news about it, it's just like an ordinary cold. Most folk.
Fingers crossed on that, and the tooth thing, O how I hate things to do with teeth, *looks away*

Wendy said...

aw Lee. sorry about the cold nad the dentists . ug it all happenes at once. hope you are on the mend soon and can go see mom ;)
xx
w

Pink Granite said...

Hi DMM & Wendy -
Thank you!
As you probably heard in my TweetMic Tweet, the head cold has dropped a bit. I am now officially quite gravelly voiced!
Fingers crossed I'll be on the mend soon!
;o)
- Lee

Fiona said...

I am commenting very belatedly on all your posts. Have somehow not had time to get to all my favourite blogs. Anyway I am sure you are feeling better by now and know that you both have sparkling teeth that are causing you no more pain. You did make me laugh about your Mum though. Those are my sentiments...I don't like anyone coming near me when they have a cold. If we were all a little more paranoid about it maybe we would not get the likes of H1N1. Fiona xx