Pages

Friday, November 7, 2008

On History

I haven’t written about the historic nature of Barack Obama becoming the 44th President of the United States of America. He is the first person of African descent to achieve the highest office in the land.

I grew up during the Civil Rights movement of the late 1950s, 1960s and beyond. But I was a white kid, born into a country where a great deal of privilege was automatically afforded me because of the color of my skin.

I’ve written about my gratitude for the decision my parents made to break the chain of prejudice within our family. I’ve been able understand intellectually what it means to be a person of color in America and I believe I have had empathy. But at the end of the day, I am still a white woman.

So I’ll turn to some of my blog friends who have written eloquently this week about what having Barack Obama as our President-Elect means to them:
Renee and her husband Kent both place this election within the context of their personal history and experiences. And George has expressed his feelings in a moving letter.

I thank them all.

No comments: