Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Adding Details To Your Family Tree

If you are into family genealogy or just curious about your roots, Ancestry.com has announced free access to its Military records until June 6, 2007. It’s fitting that they are opening up the records from Memorial Day until the anniversary of D-Day. Full monthly membership in Ancestry.com ranges from around thirteen to thirty dollars (US).

Last night I looked up my father in their military records section. Dad served in North Africa and Italy during World War II. I found some information on Dad, but the biggest surprise was finding JPG images of the original WW II Draft Registration cards for Chuck’s grandfathers and my paternal grandfather. I hadn’t realized there had been an “Old Man’s Draft Registration” for the War, for men born on or after April 28, 1877 and on or before February 16, 1897. The cards hold a wealth of information including current address, employer, occupation and the name of the person “who will always know your address”. My maternal grandfather was born later, so his is a standard registration card, but with just as much information. There, at the bottom of each card, is the signature of our relatives.

We’ll be going back to Ancestry.com to gather as much information as we can on all of our relatives. We’ve been downloading the JPG images of the registration cards and we’ll continue to add whatever we learn to the excellent Apple based genealogy program Reunion. I hope this proves beneficial to you in the search to fill out your family tree.

2 comments:

Roo said...

Hey hey - My Brother and Sister have been doing our tree for a few years back. One thing I would always advise people is talk to the old 'uns that are left, as it's always interesting to find out where everyone was buried too. I know it sounds a bit morbid, but in fact it's really interesting, and once you get them talking, you find out the most bizarre things. ;o)

Pink Granite said...

Absolutely!
Getting the facts from census records and ships manifests is terrific, but you can't beat the family stories.
While my Dad was overseas during WW II, my Mom was being called on by a family friend. He turned her head a bit. But her father and grandmother were firmly in my Dad's court and slammed the door in the other man's face more than once! That wasn't written up on the back of their marriage license!
;o)
- Lee