Pages

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Well Begun Is Half Done

Well begun is half done. I created my Blog. Took the leap and here I am. I thought it would be easy to write my first post. That is until I went searching for a Goethe quote I love and found that it has been wrongly attributed to Goethe! This was particularly distressing to me because over the years, I have created three separate art pieces for my nieces in which I used the following Goethe quote:

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!"
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1749-1832


But according to The Goethe Society of North America (www.goethesociety.org) it appears to be more accurately attributed to W.H. Murray by way of John Anster! Fortunately, regardless of who first wrote the words, the meaning and message remain the same. By the way, "Well begun is half done" is attributed to Aristotle, but according to Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, Aristotle was quoting a proverb!
Thanks for reading. More later.

No comments: