Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2007

All In Together Now...

Lilacs in winter

I think I still have a bit of a Thanksgiving hangover - or something. It’s the third night of Chanukah and I haven’t made latkes yet. (I did get the Chanukah cards out in a timely fashion tho’, thanks to Wonder Hubby!) We’re less than three weeks away from Christmas and I’m so not ready - internally, externally or any other -ally. I think I’d rather do Thanksgiving all over again. It was an awful lot of fun being with my fun and funny family! But while my family moves holidays around rather liberally, multiples are just not done. We did celebrate Christmas in August once. It must have been 1978. My grandmother, Gagee, was hospitalized just before Christmas of 1977. She made a fiercely fought, miraculous recovery and we celebrated Christmas with her the following August.

We do have our LED tree on the porch and we’re on the hunt for some LED icicle lights tomorrow. Maybe Saturday, I’ll make latkes - lots of latkes, with applesauce and sour cream. Maybe Sunday, I’ll get to finishing the Christmas cards. And perhaps I need to translate my desire for a Thanksgiving redux into thankfulness for the entire holiday season - while letting the season be whatever it will be.

2 comments:

SoulPony said...

i'd take thanksgiving over christmas. sometimes i feel like the scrooge. not a fan.

Pink Granite said...

Hi Tonya -
Thanksgiving seems to have far fewer expectations and emotional land mines associated with it.
I hope the holiday season in toto, reckons up on the positive side of the scales for you!
;o)
- Lee